The Juvenile and Family Court and Procedure of Juvenile and Family Case Act B.E. 2534 provides that the Observation and Protection of Juvenile and Youth is empowered to control the children and juveniles for training in accordance with a judgment or court’s order. And upon the establishment of the Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection, said missions are also those of the Vocational Training Center for children and juveniles under the training by the judgment or order of the court for a period of training varied by the court’s order.
Under the Ministerial Regulation for Division of Public Services re the Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection, Ministry of Justice B.E. 2545, the Vocational Training Center for Children and Juveniles has the following duties:
(A) Implementation of supervisory treatment, rehabilitation prevention, and development of behavioral habits and supporting the children and juveniles under the court's judgment or order to be trained.
(B) Implementation of community activities and cooperation to safeguard and protect the children's rights.
(C) Working with, or supporting the work of other relevant or assigned agencies.
Hence, in order to supervise and control the children and juveniles to correspond with the purposes of the laws, to suit the current circumstances, and to correspond with the policy on human rights including the Convention on the Rights of the Child or other regulations of the United Nations endorsed by Thailand. The general principles or objectives of the Training Centers cover:
- To ensure that the detention and training shall be according to the court’s order or under the provisions of the law.
- To achieve equality in treating the children and juveniles taking into account of the dignity of the human being and the principles of human rights.
- To effectively manage the Vocational Training Center for Children and Juvenile taking into account of the main interests of children and juveniles (Child Welfare Centre), where all staff must have knowledge and understanding of fundamental rights of the children and juveniles and provide protection.
- To provide therapy and rehabilitation by giving the guidelines for the therapy and rehabilitation according to their problems and needs, as well as to provide relief, where appropriate, in order to give the children and juveniles recognize and change their behavior to be able to live with other people in society and to live a normal life.
- To provide ordinary and professional education with a focus on potential development and serving as a basis for further study or career in the future.
- To treat, rehabilitate and develop the children and juveniles to be persons with integrity, both physical and mental, skills for living, moral responsibility to themselves and others, and being able to share with their family and others peacefully.
In overview, the Vocational Training Center for Children and Juvenile has missions and responsibilities to supervise, treat, rehabilitate, protect, and devlop the behavioral habits and welfare of the children and juveniles in accordance with the court’s judgment or order. The Center also provides training and workshops so that the children and juveniles can return to be a good person and live a normal life in society with regard to equality. To achieve such missions, it is necessary to supervise the children’s and juveniles’ health and sanitary, environment, four requisites, and to provide the treatment and rehabilitation of children and juveniles in all aspects, i.e. physical health, mental health, life skills, education in both ordinary and professional, so that each children and juveniles has been resolved and developed to meet each different issues and environmental factors. It also prepares the children and juveniles ready to encounter the environment outside, appropriately, in order to live a normal and constructive life as well as to follow up later upon return to their family and society. In addition, the Vocational Training Center for Children and Juvenile together with the community has the aggressive mission to prevent problems of the offences of the children and juveniules.
When the Vocational Training Center for Children and Juvenile receives the children and juveniles from the Juvenile Observation and Protection ordered by the court to attend the training, the Vocational Training Center for Children and Juvenile will coordinate in order to receive any information and other documents involving the children and juveniles from the Juvenile Observation and Protection, and to study, analyse, and assess the need for rehabilitation and treatment according to the period, where the children and juveniles are under the training and education. The Vocational Training Center for Children and Juvenile will carry out over the classification and treatment plans as deemed appropriate for each children and juveniles, to schedule routine works containing the study of ordinary education, professional training, therapy activities, where the progressive result of which will be used to evaluate the treatment and reclassification. All the relevant personnel or officials concerned must continuously present and report the result of the treatment and the preparation for readiness prior to discharge the children / juveniles, families, and to prepare the community, to plan the follow-up upon discharge including to implement the protection for the children and juveniles, who have not committed any offences yet. The Center will use the leverage from its experience to solve the children and juvenile offender in order to prevent any crime to be taken place.